Monday, May 02, 2011

Chocolate banana sour cream muffins

The Sister was making ice cream and she had some leftover sour cream. I hate waste, so I told her I'll use it up for her. Words said, I then had to go hunt for recipes that uses sour cream.

After a quick search, I thought that muffins and quick breads for breakfast are the most likely items to use sour cream, and I chanced upon this recipe, which encompasses one of my favourite combo as a breakfast item - chocolate and banana.

Chocolate banana sour cream muffins


The original recipe was for a breakfast loaf, but for convenient portion-ing, I baked them in muffin liners. One thing I love about muffins is that any base recipe is so adjustable. Depending on personal preference, plain flour can be swapped to various flours (wheat, almond, graham, wholemeal etc), flavours can be enhanced (add more vanilla essence, cinnamon, spices) and additions made (chopped nuts, mini chips, berries).

Another plus point, muffins are so easy to whip up in no time. The total process can take me just an hour (if I'm fast) from assembling the ingredients to removing the delicious bounty from the oven.

These muffins tasted so good - they were extremely moist and chocolatey. I love how there are scattered bits of banana pieces (I mashed them but left a few chunky bits) in the muffins so in each mouth, you taste something different - a bite can yield a taste of cinnamon (chips, a taste of chocolate (white choc chips),  a crunch (from the walnuts) and something fruity (the bananas). Super with a glass of cold mik.

Recipe's a keeper, but as I don't normally have leftover sour cream on hand, I don't think I'll get the chance to make these often. Oh well, at least I froze some of these babies! Had one for breakfast yesterday - I microwaved and toasted it for a bit, and it tasted just as good as freshly made. Yums...

Chocolate banana sour cream muffins (adapted from Alice at Savorysweetlife)
makes 10 regular sized muffins

75g salted butter
40g unsalted butter (can use all salted as Alice did, I ran out of salted and didn't want to open a new pack)
115g cup sugar
1 egg
2.5 medium ripened bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
60g whole wheat flour
50g graham flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup of sour cream (I had slightly less so I topped up the rest - perhaps a tbsp? with milk)
white chocolate chips
Hershey's cinnamon chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat over to 170°C.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add the egg, mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and mix until well blended. Fold in dry ingredients and mix. When there are still slight flour streaks in the mixture, add chips and nuts (if using) and continue mixing till everything is well combined.
Line muffin tin with liners and divide into 10 equal portions.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a stick comes out clean when you poke into it to check for doneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...